Skin Discoloration on the Neck
Skin discoloration on the neck is common kind of kind pigmentation also called acanthosis nigricans. Although it is not truly a kind of infection, it is contagious. Many suffer from this embarrassment of having skin patches and dark spots on the neck. Some of the major reasons behind this skin discoloration are exposure to the harmful rays of the sun and natural aging process. Skin discoloration on the neck might also result due to diabetes, weight loss, weight gain, poor hygiene and genetic factors. People suffering from skin discoloration on neck often wonder how to get rid of the marks. You can adopt natural remedies to do away with skin discoloration. Apart from this, there are topical creams, ointments, and serums for the removal of pigmentation marks on the neck.
Why skin discoloration on the neck happens?
Before you try to treat skin discoloration, you must know skin discoloration facts. Are you aware why the skin discoloration happens on the neck? If you do not use sunscreen lotion to protect your skin, there will be pigmentation marks on the skin. When the skin is exposed to the UV rays of the sun, there is an overproduction of melanin to make the skin dark. Areas like arms, neck, shoulders, and face get discolored when exposed to outside factors. Whether the neck area is darkened or you notice brown patches, it is all due to increase in the production of melanin. The condition will be far more prominent if you are fair skinned. Get in touch with a dermatologist to treat skin discoloration if nothing works out.
Obesity and certain medications can cause skin discoloration
There are various reasons for skin discoloration on the neck and obesity is one of them. The discoloration starts on the region which folds due to excessive fat. You already know how the skin folds wherever there is more fat accumulation. Besides, certain types of medication can cause hormonal imbalance and this kind of imbalance manifests in the form of change in skin color of the neck and other regions. Some of the medications are hormone replacement pills and contraceptive pills. At times, poor immunity system, natural aging can also cause skin discoloration.
It is hard to treat skin discoloration when one is dark skinned
If you are dark skinned, you have to be careful while using whitening products and bleaching products. This is so when the melanocytes get damaged, the natural pigment also gets lost. It is easy to treat skin discoloration if you have lighter skin. Spot correcting creams are also available to help eliminate skin discoloration. A dermatologist can also recommend therapies to correct skin imperfections.
Ways to treating skin discoloration
There are various levels for treating skin discoloration on the neck. Avoid any exposure to the rays of the sun. Protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun is the first line of defense. But, if there is the issue of hyperpigmentation on the neck, you may use cream or ointment containing hydroquinone or retinol. The use of such creams may block any production of melanin to resolve the problem of hyperpigmentation. The skin will become light and treated according to the severity of the problem. It is essential to know the cause of such discoloration. If the infection is a fungal infection, you will be prescribed antifungal cream.
There are clinical treatment options for skin discoloration
If you have spots, dark patches on your neck, contact a skin specialist for a suitable treatment option. The skin specialist will see the area and examine the extent of damage or the depth of skin discoloration. If the condition is hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, it may be treated with Microdermabrasion, chemical peels, laser therapy and laser treatment.
Skin discoloration can also result from an underlying medical condition
Diseases relating to the endocrine system, Addison disease, lupus, and hemochromatosis can cause severe skin discoloration. Skin disease like Vitiligo and genetic disorders like albinism may result in abnormal skin pigmentation. Follow a good skincare routine to avoid skin discoloration. You need not use makeup when your skin is bright and flawless. You may improve your skin condition by adopting necessary steps. Skin brightener may revitalize dull and tired looking skin.
Top 5 remedies for skin discoloration on the neck
There are various remedies for skin discoloration. Natural remedies can reduce age marks and fade dark spots from the skin. Some of the natural remedies are stated below:
- Almonds are incredibly beneficial for the skin and boost skin health. It can remove skin discoloration while also nourish your skin. The use of almonds in different ways can address dark spots. Grind almonds and mix honey and milk powder to prepare a thick paste. Apply the paste all over the skin and affected areas and leave it for one hour.
- Aloe vera is a great moisturizer and natural skin lightener which can lighten the complexion or skin color. It can help to do away with age spots, dark spots and various types of skin spots. Just extract the juice of aloe vera and apply on the neck, face, and massage gently. Leaving it for 30 minutes will show up bright and glowing skin complexion.
- Walnuts also have minerals and vitamins which can help to nourish the skin. The skin stays moisturized which is essential. Prepare a scrub of yogurt and walnuts and treat dark areas on the neck, face, and arms. Mix yogurt and crushed walnuts and massage the area. Leave for few minutes and wash off with cold water.
Get rid of dead skin cells
- To improve the appearance of dark spots on the face and neck, you may use cucumber. Cucumber has cooling and soothing properties to get rid of dead skin cells, repair skin cells and bring a golden glow on the face. Just apply the juice of cucumber on the skin and massage the area for 10 minutes. For better results, you can mix lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply on the face and neck with cotton balls.
- Baking soda is excellent for the skin which can fade dark spots and patches. Being the gentle abrasive, baking soda can scrub off the dead skin cells. It will not irritate the skin or cause any skin eruption. New skin will show up once the dead skin cells are effectively removed. You just need to mix a teaspoon of baking soda with some water and apply the paste. Massage the paste for few minutes and see noticeable changes after a few applications. Make sure you leave baking powder only for a few seconds on the skin.
Natural remedies are the best way to treat skin discoloration
Natural remedies for skin discoloration are the best way to address the skin discoloration. Using natural remedies will help to avoid harmful chemicals that may cause side effects. Natural remedies offer long-lasting effect, and the results are not temporary like prescribed medicines. Natural remedies help to eliminate the issue on a permanent basis.
How can you fix skin discoloration?
The way you fix skin discoloration is dependent on the cause of skin discoloration. If the problem is not that severe and is minor sun damage, you can use over-the-counter skin brightening ointment, Retinol, OTC hydroquinone or see a dermatologist.
Neck discoloration is not that serious issue
Both men and women can face the problem of skin discoloration. The discoloration on the skin may appear in the form of patches or dark spots. If the issue of skin discoloration is too severe, you must see a dermatologist for sure. But, if the problem is not critical, it is best to stick to natural remedies. The main culprit behind skin discoloration is an exposure to the rays of the sun. The skin around the neck becomes dark brown. The skin tone or the skin color may also change with an overdose of iron. Certain medicines can also cause hormonal imbalance, leading to skin discoloration. Olive oil is an excellent remedy for skin discoloration. You may apply it on the skin and gently massage the area. Before trying out any over-the-counter medicine for skin discoloration, you must get in touch with a dermatologist.
An underlying medical issue can cause pain on the skin
If the region of discolored skin pains, it is the cause of concern. The painful sensation is the warning sign that there is some underlying medical condition. When there is lack of essential vitamin, there may be a pain in the region. You must consume vitamin-rich food to overcome the underlying medical issue. Systemic illness can also cause pain in the area. Diabetes can also create an imbalance of blood glucose level or sugar level. Skin discoloration on the neck is a pretty common condition. When there is excessive sweating or exposure to the rays of the sun, poor hygiene, there might be skin discoloration. Just as it is essential to treat patches on the face, it is crucial to address skin discoloration as soon as possible.
Whenever there is skin discoloration, you must do something about it and not prolong the condition. A dermatologist can recommend you laser treatment or skin lighteners basing on the severity of the problem.