Treatments for Skin Discoloration
For many people, attaining bright and smooth complexion is the key milestone to achieving healthy and beautiful skin. Healthy skin and beautiful face is the first thing that anyone notices. When the skin looks bright and smooth, the skin appears to be healthy. But, skin discoloration can mar your beauty and cause frustration. If the skin has too many dark spots and brown patches, it suggests some underlying medical problem. Well, the extent of skin discoloration is dependent on factors like the location of discoloration, the appearance, and the age.
Treatments for skin discoloration vary as per the cause of such discoloration. It is skin pigment called melanin which is responsible for skin discoloration. The skin produces melanin, and this imparts pigment to the skin. When there is some fluctuation in the production of melanin, there will be skin discoloration. If melanocytes produce less melanin, hypopigmentation occurs. Overexposure to the free radicals, UV rays of the sun and pollution can increase the production of melanin.
Some of the best treatment options for skin discoloration
If the nature of skin discoloration is complicated, it will be frustrating to treat it. But, a lot many treatment options are available to eliminate discoloration or treat it. Resurfacing treatments for skin discoloration like laser surgery and chemical peels are popular. The can fade dark spots and reduce the appearance of the patches and blotches. Such discoloration treatments act as intense exfoliation to remove the top layer of the skin and reveal even toned and healthy skin underneath.
What is cryotherapy?
If the skin disorder or the nature of skin discoloration is too serious, cryotherapy for skin discoloration will be the best treatment option. The low-temperature medical therapy freezes the area and deadens the irritated nerve. The procedure is carried out in the office to treat malignant lesions. The extreme cold liquid nitrogen destroys the tissue. Freezing the dark spot through cryotherapy destroys the pigment, allowing the new skin to reveal after a period. The procedure is best meant to treat skin discoloration of dangerous nature including warts and melanoma.
Skin lightening creams to treat hyperpigmentation
There was a time when hydroquinone was thought to be the safest and most effective treatment for skin discoloration. It is only recently found that hydroquinone can cause several side effects with continuous usage. Now the manufacturers use natural ingredients like licorice extract, kojic acid, and arbutin to make much-advanced skin lightening ointments for the treatment of skin discoloration. Such creams are effective, safe and offer excellent results. Kojic acid, for instance, is produced by fungi and works great on the discolored skin. Its function is similar to that of hydroquinone, where it suppresses the production of melanin, inhibits tyrosinase enzyme. Make sure the cream based on Kojic acid is appropriately packaged.
Kojic acid is pretty unstable and may get oxidized when comes in contact with air. The option is quite safer than hydroquinone. Apart from this, Topical Retinoid is also used to treat skin discoloration. Topical Retinoid accelerates epidermal exfoliation to reduce the appearance of discoloration.
The best cosmetic procedures to treat skin discoloration
If over-the-counter drugs and creams fail to show results, you may contact a dermatologist to suggest you the chemical process. Chemical peels are effective treatments for skin discoloration to reduce skin discoloration to a significant extent. The cosmetic procedure functions in three levels whereby the first level may be availed through chemist shop and the medium and deeper levels are carried out by healthcare professionals.
The dermatologist exfoliates top layer with superficial peel which uses alpha hydroxy and mild beta acid. The kind of superficial peel improves skin discoloration and mild blotchiness. When there is excessive pigmentation, the dermatologist incorporates hydroquinone and kojic acid to the superficial peel. When compared to superficial peel, the medium peel features a much stronger concentration of glycolic or trichloroacetic acid to reach out to upper and the middle layer of the dermis.
If the discoloration is only moderate, the medium chemical peel will serve the purpose. If you have age spots, freckles, they may be addressed with the medium chemical peel. The result you get from chemical peel is outstanding but the recovery time needed is much more here.
Surgical options for skin discoloration
To treat skin discoloration, the dermatologist can also suggest you surgical options. This is suitable when nothing works out for you. Surgical procedure for skin discoloration can give you faster and more effective results. The skin is removed by the surgeon and is best for burn marks on the skin. Skin grafting is the surgical technique whereby a surgeon replaces discolored or burned skin with normal skin taken from any other region of the body. But, some bit of risk is involved in the surgical procedure. This should be your last option when everything else fails to deliver results.
Home remedies are also best for skin discoloration
If you have discolored skin, you may administer natural remedies for skin discoloration. There are various natural remedies you can adopt:
- When the skin is discolored, you can use apple cider vinegar which works wonderfully. Dilute apple cider vinegar and dip in cotton balls. Apply to affected areas and leave for an hour. This must be done twice daily for a few months.
- If skin discoloration is the result of any exposure to harmful UV rays of the sun, you may use Vitamin E which neutralizes the effect of sun’s rays. It can shield your skin, repair the skin cells and protect it. Just open up Vitamin E capsule and apply the content directly on the skin or discolored areas. Use every day to see noticeable changes.
- Turmeric has bleaching property to even out your skin tone. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory property keeps the skin infection-free. Just squeeze lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of turmeric and apply on the affected areas. Allow the mixture to sit for 40 minutes and wash off. Your skin may turn yellow, but it will clear off after a while. Do not expose yourself to the harmful rays of the sun.
- If the skin discoloration or hyperpigmentation is only mild, you can use aloe vera gel. Regular use of aloe vera gel can promote cellular regeneration and get rid of dead skin cells. Just apply aloe vera on the affected areas and massage. Leave overnight and wash off in the morning.
Vitamin-C rich diet
Diet and lifestyle also have a significant impact on the skin. Diet rich in Vitamin C can renew your skin and so you must consume Vitamin C rich diet. Citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C.
Urine for treating skin discoloration
Doesn’t it sound strange that urine can help to treat skin discoloration? Urine can treat skin problems such as scars, acne, and rashes on the skin. Just soak in a cotton ball in the urine and apply on the dark spots. Leave it for 20 minutes.
Tips for addressing the cause of skin discoloration
- Sun damage is the main reason behind skin discoloration. To safeguard your skin from the cold weather and wind, you should apply sunscreen lotion of 30+ SPF at least twice daily.
- To avoid acne scars, you must do something about the acne. Acne and pimples must be brought under control with balanced diet and vitamin-rich diet.
- Stay away from birth control pills, stress to avoid hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can cause skin discoloration.
- For treating skin discoloration, one can adopt clinical procedures. This should be your last choice and must be adopted when nothing works out.
- You can choose home remedies for black spots to get rid of patches and spots from the skin.
- Avoid a chemical-based cream and use natural cream to get rid of dark spots. A chemical based product will cause harm to the skin.
Popular ways of treating skin discoloration
- Apply oil and steam your face to loosen skin. If the outer dead skin is loosened, it may be sloughed off easily. Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and apply on the affected areas. Gently massage the surface for a few minutes. Now lean over boiling water and rest your face to intake the steam. Stay like that for 6-7 minutes to soften your face. After you have steamed for a few minutes, use a soft towel to wipe off your face. This must be done 3-4 times in a week to get rid of the discolored skin.
- Apply baking soda paste and exfoliate the skin. When the skin is loose and soft, it may be easily exfoliated. Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix water to make a smooth paste. Massage the skin surface with this mixture to gently exfoliate.
So, from the above section, it is clear that there are various ways of treating skin discoloration. Vitamin C can rebuild cells and reveal fresher and much-balanced skin tone. Buy lemon juice from a grocery store having a higher level of Vitamin C. Treatments for skin discoloration must be chosen as per the skin type, the nature of skin discoloration and the severity of the problem.