Reasons Behind Skin Discoloration
Skin discoloration or discolored patches over the skin are a common occurrence, and people do experience this problem at some point in time. Patchy skin or mottled skin implies changes in the blood vessel of the skin causing patchiness. Patchy discoloration or irregular patches are a consequence of variation in melanin. You may be wondering what melanin is. It is that substance which is produced by the skin cells and that which imparts color to the skin. If there is an excessive production of melanin due to some reasons, there will be dark spots and patches on the skin. If you want to get rid of skin discoloration, you may use natural treatment for skin discoloration to get rid of skin patchiness. There can be various reasons behind skin discoloration. Here you will learn about the major ones.
Discolored skin is ugly
Uneven skin tone, discolored skin is the leading cause why a person appears to be older. People of all age groups may be affected by it. Both men and women are susceptible to getting the skin discolored and patched. It may result from certain medications or health issues. There may be 22 medical conditions that may cause skin discoloration.
Sunburn can lead to Red Skin
Wondering what the leading causes of skin discoloration are? The harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun are the leading causes of skin discoloration. Excessive exposure to the rays of the sun can damage your skin, leading to skin redness. When days are too sunny, your skin may turn red, irritated and inflamed. If nothing is done in the meanwhile, the skin inflammation might result in sunburns or sun damage. This may lead to further inflammation and redness. When there is exposure to the rays of the sun, melanin rushes towards exposed areas of the skin to protect them. The result is tanned, discolored and patchy skin.
Skin darkening can be caused due to various reasons
Your skin may get darkened due to multiple reasons. When the skin is injured, it gets inflamed, and this finally leads to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Skin scarring due to injury, surgery, acne marks or other factors might lead to the darkening of the skin. Bug bites might also lead to the darkening of the skin. To avoid hyperpigmentation, you must stay out of the sun. Moisturize your skin correctly so that it remains protected.
A variety of medical conditions
Several medical conditions cause skin discoloration to make it patchy. The following are some of them:
- Anemia is the medical condition which occurs when red blood cells are scarce. Red Blood Cells circulate oxygen to the various organs and tissues of the body derived from the food we eat. The typical kind of blood disorders may result in Anemia.
- Excessive pigmentation or hyperpigmentation is the leading cause of skin discoloration. There will be excessive dermal and epidermal melanin pigmentation due to this. If you are exposed to chemicals, lights or any other similar substance, there will be hyperpigmentation, leading to skin discoloration.
- Jaundice can turn the skin into yellow color. This is common among infants when there is yellow cast over the skin. Medical attention is crucial if there is any such occurrence.
- Your skin may develop light color patches resulting from Vitiligo. It is the kind of non-contagious skin disease which results from the death of melanocytes. It is due to autoimmune disorder and so there is a need to see a medical professional.
- Cyanosis can cause bluish fingernails, bluish lips and this suggests lack of oxygen. If there is an underlying heart problem or lung disorder, Cyanosis may be caused.
Hormonal imbalance can cause patchy skin
Natural treatment for skin discoloration is the best way to treat any skin discoloration. If there are dark patches on the skin, this may result from any hormonal imbalance. If there are patches around the connecting joints or the skin, it can be resulting from hormonal changes taking place in the body. The so-called ‘mask of pregnancy’ or chloasma and melasma may get darkened during pregnancy. Just after the delivery of the baby, the skin darkness may be cleared. If you notice dark patches on the skin, get in touch with a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and care.
Multicolored discoloration due to infection
Do you notice yellowish and greenish patches on your skin? This may be the consequence of bacterial infection. Certain kinds of viral infection can also lead to rashes all over the skin. When there is skin infection causing discoloration of the skin, see a doctor.
Rosacea causes red and flushed skin
Wondering what the cause of skin discoloration is? Rosacea is the common kind of skin problem which affects many. The skin condition is characterized by flushed skin, dilated and small blood vessels or maybe little lumps, rough patches all over the skin. There can be various causes of Rosacea. It is essential to see a doctor to trace out the reason behind such occurrence. The leading cause may be an autoimmune problem.
Other causes of skin discoloration
- Tinea Versicolor:Do you notice tan, brown or white spots on the skin? The spots may be darker or much lighter than the normal skin tone of yours. The skin can become flaky, itchy and dry a bit. When Malassezia grows at a rapid pace on the surface of the skin, there will be Tinea Versicolor. Do not mistake it with Vitiligo.
- Eczema:this is again a skin condition and one of the reasons behind skin discoloration. Affected areas tend to become itchy, greasy, oily and red.
- The blood vessel may burst and leak into the skin. This is a medical emergency, and immediate attention is needed. The skin develops red color patches
The above section sums up the reasons behind skin discoloration. Natural remedies for skin discoloration can address the problem. There are various home remedies you may try out. Exposure to the rays of the sun is the leading cause of skin discoloration. Always wear sunscreen lotion before stepping out.